This guidance aims to help commissioners and others understand what individual and public participation mean in practice and to support them in developing the culture, systems and processes which will make participation a reality.
Who is this guide for?
This guide will help clinical commissioning groups (CCGs) and other commissioners of health and care services to involve:
- Patients and carers in decisions relating to care and treatment.
- The public in commissioning processes and decisions.
It will also be of interest to:
- People providing health and care services;
- People providing support to commissioners;
- NHS England nationally, regionally and at area team level;
- Patients and carers;
- Voluntary sector groups and organisations with an interest in patient and public participation;
- Health and wellbeing boards
NHS England has also developed some bite-size guides to support patient and public participation in the NHS. The guides have been developed with partners and by reviewing good practice in each area. They aim to support Clinical Commissioning Groups and others to plan and deliver good patient and public participation. You can access the guides via the links >